We are a temple that was opened in 656 that enshrines Jizo the guardian deity of children. In 718 a well regarded Buddhist monk came from India and enshrined a statue of Seikannon, which was designated as a national important cultural object, as the principle object of worship here. The temple’s name Geango comes from the fact that this monk organized a geango, which is a Buddhist training retreat held in the summer, at our temple. Back during the Nara Period (710-794 C.E.) the emperor would visit here frequently, and a priest named Gyoki would maintain the building. During the Edo Period (1603-1868 C.E.), the Kaga (old Kanazawa) feudal lords would often come and pray here. To this day there are many religious treasures housed here that have been designated as cultural artifacts which are not open to the public.